Packing List for Export Import Business
What is Packing List in Import Export Business?
The packing list is one of the most important documents for both apparel merchandising and commercial departments of an apparel manufacturing industry. The packing section is the part finishing section of the readymade apparel industry. Normally, the packing section packs the goods as per ratio or assortment. In the later, the apparel inspector inspects the apparel product according to the apparel packing list.
To prepare final packing lists, the commercial department of the apparel industry has needed the final packing list for forwarding agents and the customs department. From here, they calculate the total shipping volume and weight to confirm the required shipping cargo. As its importance, both apparel merchandiser and commercial personnel should aware of it to reduce cost in shipping.
Types of Packing in Finishing Section:
There are so many packing types followed in the apparel industry. The following are the most used among those:
- Flatpack (Shirt, sportswear, trouser),
- Stand up pack (90° angle),
- Semi-stand up pack (for shirt),
- Hanger pack (for coats, blazer, pants),
- Half-fold pack (for pant).
Types of Carton Packing in the Apparel Industry:
After packing the apparel, cartooning is done according to the apparel size and color in the apparel manufacturing sector. Mostly used carton packing types have given in the below though there are various types of cartoon packing in the clothing sector:
- Solid color solid size carton packing,
- Solid color assorted size carton packing,
- Assorted color solid size carton packing,
- Assorted color assorted carton packing.
It should be noted here that, carton packing may be as 12pcs, 24pcs, or 36pcs per carton which is totally dependent on the buyer requirements.
Packing List Documents in Apparel Sector:
Packing list (P/L) is known as an inventory of the incoming cargo which is required for customs clearance in apparel shipment and accompanying the commercial invoice and the transport documents.
During apparel shipment, the packing list generally includes the below information’s or documents:
- Name of the exporter,
- Name of the importer,
- Name of the transport company,
- Date of issue,
- Number of the freight invoice,
- Type of packaging (carton, box, barrel, bag, etc.),
- Total number of packages,
- Content of each package (Details description of the goods and number of items per package),
- Marks and numbers,
- Gross weight, net weight, and measurement of the packages.
Packing List Format in Apparel Industry:
An expert said that packing lists should start with date, buyer order, and style number of product, carton number. The unsorted summary was also not accepted by the buyers. Intact, some buyers may even ask for the net weight and gross weight of each carton. The below format have to maintain during carton packing.