GSM Calculation Method Without Using GSM Cutter
GSM Calculation Method Without Using GSM Cutter:
Normally a garments merchandiser does not follow the fabric manufacturing systems. Apparel merchandiser ordered the knitting section by providing the required instructions (Fabric type, GSM) given by the buyer. As a result, merchandiser can’t give surety about the contained fabric GSM. If merchandiser will follow some GSM calculation method, can easily identify the correct fabric GSM. As its importance in garments merchandising today I will present GSM calculation method in this article.
As a garments merchandiser everyone have to know about the GSM calculation method. GSM can be calculated by using GSM cutter or sometimes without using GSM cutter.
What is GSM?
GSM means gram per square meter. Its unit is (gm/m2). In knitting fabric it is the main parameter. It is controlled by loop length. If loop length increases GSM will decrease and vice versa.
What is GSM Cutter?
GSM cutter is one kinds of circular cutter, which cuts 1/100 of a square meter of fabric area.
GSM Calculation Method without Using GSM Cutter:
During calculating fabric GSM without using any GSM cutter, we should follow the following steps:
- At first, cut 5pcs (12cm × 12cm) fabric sample from the different portion of fabric. (Here 12cm is in length and 12cm is in width).
- Measure the weight of each sample in one by one method.
- Now, calculate the average weight of fabric sample.
- Also calculate the fabric sample area by multiplying length and width.
- Now by putting “average sample weight” and “fabric sample area” in the following formula, we can get easily the fabric GSM.
GSM calculation formula (in case of without using GSM cutter),
5pcs (12cm × 12cm) size fabric sample weights are 1.8gm, 2gm, 1.85gm, 1.90gm and 1.95gm respectively.
Average weight of (12cm × 12cm) size fabric sample is,
Sample fabric area = fabric sample length × fabric sample width
= (12 × 12)
GSM (in case of without using GSM cutter),
So, fabric GSM is 131.94
Latest posts by Mayedul Islam (see all)
- Top 10 Fashion Colleges in the World 2020 - December 7, 2019
- 5 Emerging Trends Poised to Transform Retail Supply Chains - November 28, 2019
- 5 Techniques to Gain Presence in a Fair - October 31, 2019