Bill of Material (BOM) in Apparel Industry
Bill of Material (BOM) | Bill of Materials Information | Bill of Materials Format
What is BOM?
BOM stands for bill of material. It is actually a list of raw materials which are needed to be sourced for making the garments. It should be prepared and sourced the materials before starting the garments production. Before preparing bill of material, garment merchandiser should be aware about the shipping date of the garment.
In readymade apparel industry, BOM is normally prepared by factory merchandiser or production merchandiser. After that, it is approved by responsible person from the factory owner and handed over to the purchase department to purchase and in-house the required raw materials in timely.
Bill of material contains the below information’s:
- Details description of raw materials,
- Consumption of raw materials per each garment,
- The person name, who is responsible for sourcing,
- Supplier name,
- Projected cost per each item,
- Product quality,
- Product specification,
- Product color name or color code,
- Raw material price,
- Sourcing date,
- Cuttable Width,
- Total cost of raw material,
- Product code (It is often called a style no. for fabric or input),
- Size (buttons) or length (zippers).
BOM Preparation Method in Garment Industry:
After confirmation of a garment export order, production merchandiser or factory merchandiser receives the details information of the product (product quantity, color, size, style etc.) from the buying merchandiser. Then he prepare bill of material sheet by maintaining a specific format which normally followed in ready-made garment sector. Here, one thing should be noted here that, production merchandiser or factory merchandiser should provide bill of materials to the purchase department to source raw materials according to the style of garments. Otherwise they may mix-up all.
Boll of Materials or BOM Format Followed in Apparel Industry:
Merchandiser at Fashion Xpress Buying House.
Badda, Dhaka, Bangladesh.
Latest posts by Mayedul Islam (see all)
- Top 10 Fashion Colleges in the World 2020 - December 7, 2019
- 5 Emerging Trends Poised to Transform Retail Supply Chains - November 28, 2019
- 5 Techniques to Gain Presence in a Fair - October 31, 2019