Stretch Fabric | Types of Stretch Fabric
Stretch Fabric | Types of Stretch Fabrics
What is Stretch Fabric?
Stretch fabric is one kind of synthetic fabric that stretches. This type of fabric can be a two-way stretch or a four-way stretch.
2 Way Stretch Fabrics:
Two-way stretch fabrics stretch mainly in one direction i.e. from selvage to selvage. But in the case of knit fabric, it can be stretched in other directions also.
4 Way Stretch Fabrics:
On the other hand, four-way stretch fabrics stretch in both directions such as crosswise and lengthwise.
Classification of Stretch Fabric:
There are two categories of stretch fabrics based on the degree of stretchability. Those are-
- Power or action stretch fabrics,
- Comfort stretch fabrics.
All the above two types have explained the below:
1. Power or action stretch fabrics:
Power or action stretch fabrics provide a fabric with a high degree of extensibility and quick recovery. The stretch factor ranges here from 30% to 50% or more.
Uses of power or action stretch fabrics:
2. Comfort stretch fabrics:
Comfort stretch-fabric is applied to the fabrics with less than 30% stretch factor. Such fabrics are used for everyday clothing that needs only a moderate degree of elasticity.
Uses of comfort stretch-fabrics:
This category covers a wide range of end usages in both apparel and the home as well as in transportation upholstery.
With stretch fabrics, comfort is achieved by reducing garment restraint imposed on the body. No standard exists for the level of stretch required in various types of garments. However, there are some experimental data available on this matter:
Men’s suit jacket
Men’s shirt (Sleeve)
Men’s shirt (Body)
From the above mentioned experimental results they reached the below conclusions:
- The experiment confirmed the general view that outerwear garments that offer the least resistance to body movements are the most comfortable.
- Wearer’s preferences for stretch wear are established at a 25% to 45% stretch range depending on the end-use.
- For women’s horizontal stretch slacks, a 35% stretch level effectively satisfies the comfort requirements for this type of apparel.
More questions related to this topic:
- Stretch knit fabrics | Stretch jersey knits.
- Stretch cotton fabric.
- Popular items for stretch fabrics.
- What is the difference between 2 way and 4-way stretch fabrics?
- What is cotton lycra fabric used for?
- What kind of material is lycra?
- What kind of material is elastane?
- Stretch knit fabric types.